Wi-Fi Network is truly amazing, fast, and wireless way to get connects to the high Speed broadband connections. But some time piggybacking/Wi-Fi hacking cause big problem into our Home or office Wi-Fi Network. Most of the time – we are so careless that people taking advantages from our opened network.
Let see how piggybacking create problem for us!
- Some time you have to pay for per byte of data uses so if someone using your Wi-Fi Network to connect to the Internet then , its might because high bills for your extra bandwidth uses.
- Piggybacking can slow your overall internet connecting speed. Most of the routers are working with 2:2 dividing roles on entire bandwidth. So if you are using two device on Wi-Fi network and more people got connected then your internet speed got slow.
- Finally and expert guys can create security hazard into your network. They can easily find your network and use your computer shared files and important logs. If you continue use default username password then they can hack your routers root access. If anything happen right from your network might be cause police complaints against you.
Don’t worry you can secure Wi-Fi network within 7 minutes:
here are our trips for you.
1. Change Default routers password:
Most of the routers has default password of “admin” , 12345 or 0000 this are the minimum secure password takes 1 see to guess and compromised. So First thing you need to do is open your browser and enter 192.168.1.1 or sometime its May 192.168.0.1 , you can use Google search to find proper manual to entire your routers control panel. Now go to setting page and change your routers Username to your name and use a strong password into your routers password.
2. Change your SSID name:
SSID show you which brand of routers you are using currently. So, take this security to the difficult level by changing your Wi-Fi SSID name, you can use your own name or child name for your new SSID name.
3. Active WPS (Wi-Fi Protection set up):
WPS allow your router to add a double layer of security, set an PIN for WPS and you can add any new device with your existing pin code.
4. Buy Quality Wi-Fi Device:
Hulk Brute Force attack can kills your password. Try to look a device that has full Hulk Brute Force protection.
5. Use MAC Filter:
MCA (Media access address) is a unique address for each device that you are using into your workplace, anyway you can add your device MCA address into your Wi-Fi Device and only listed device can be able to access your Wi-Fi Networks. So if anyone tries to access your Wi-Fi device then it will be blocked automatically due to not listed the unidentified device in MCA filtering. MCA filter can use to set a gap between two devices. If you are using only 3 or 4 device then why not register each device into your network freely block other device.
6. Use Tow level network authentication:
Some of Router has the feature to use Tow level network authentication. In case any device ready to connect with your Wi-Fi then your router asked an Additionally PIN verification just to ensure more security against piggybacking.
7. Channel Width should be 20Mhz:
look for Channel width into your router, you can set your channel width should be 20Mhz so that the SSID broadcast can be limited range. Your Neighbour will be restricted easily using this function.
8. Use Encryption into Wi-Fi password:
It’s better to use Wi-Fi password as encryption if any transmission tracing device try to retrieve your data transfer then the data can’t be decode.
9. Set Group Key Update Period to 30 See:
In your router you can find an option to update group key, set it to 30 see so to ensure maximum protection.
10. Use WPA/WPA2 – Enterprise protection:
Most of router has the feature to use WPA/WPA2 Enterprise protection, its help you to use strong password and add rules on connecting device.
11. Radius Server IP:
From your LAN or router you can set RADIUS server. Any device, dial up or other network access needs to log in into your Radius sever before accessing your workgroup.
12. Use WEP key:
While set your Wi-Fi password use WEP key , first enter this website to generate a WEP key , now enter a simple ASCII pass phrase, like – “Ram” now see the result below , you can find 64 bit keys and 128 key use one of them as password. In case you forget your 64 bit keys then you can regenerate the same key by entering your ASCII pass phrase.
Don’t forgot to review log: In a week look at you network log , if anything found as identify then terminate it immediately and review your router security again.
So How did secure Wi-Fi Network from piggybacking? do you have any more Additionally tips to secure your wireless network? Let me know in the comment box.